Napier Artist Ngaio Blackwood
Why I do what I do
To encourage people to look closer at their surroundings so that, together, we see that more connects us than divides us
Napier Artist - Ngaio Blackwood
I reflect on the lives we live and the connections we create with our surroundings. Hand-drawn stitched and painted fine art is where I process these ideas. Full-colour designer Tea Towels are something I'm well known for.
- I believe in a world where learning from the past increases our success in the future
- I think we should embrace our wobbly lines, ignore rulers and let the colours bleed
- I'm scared that we will never overcome prejudice
- I want to accept that I'm right where I need to be and that everything will be OK
- I escape in books
- I drink coffee to stay awake
- I devour chocolate
- I'm embarrassed that I like romantic comedies and a little Austen obsessed.
A member of the Hawkes Bay Embroidery Guild and Extensions group. Find out more about NZ embroidery guilds here.
Where to buy my work
Looking for my designer Tea Towels? New designs are released to my waiting list and only the leftovers make it to my store.
I currently have a piece showing at The Rabbit Room Gallery in Napier or you can buy directly from my shop. You can also find a few remaining hand-tatted lace jewellery pieces at The Franklin Arts Centre.
I'm working towards an exhibition to be held during Art Deco Weekend in Napier at the Rabbit Room Gallery, February 2019.
Ngaio R. Blackwood (Simpson)
(b. 1985, NZ)
Lives and works in Napier, NZ
- 2007 - Bachelor of Fine Arts (Hons), Massey University
- 2019 - Art Deco Weekend Feb, The Rabbit Room, Details coming soon
- 2016 - Flight, Franklin Community Gallery https://www.facebook.com/events/289358094737499/
- 2013 - Garage Exhibition, Auckland
- 2012 - Artist in residence and exhibition at Incubator, Waiheke Island
- 2011 - Blackbird, Upcycle, Waiheke Island
- 2007 - Test pot, DAF106, Wellington. With Richard Simmonds
- 2018 - Textile sampler for the exhibition X-Marks, Conversations in Cloth, Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
- 2016 - HB shorts art competition, Creative Arts Napier, Napier
- 2016 - Made of Snow, Steel Gallery, Franklin Art Centre, Pukekohe
- 2015 - Hibiscus & Bays art awards, Mairangi Arts Centre, Auckland
- 2012 - Spring Exhibition, NorthART gallery, Auckland
- 2011 - The Pre-Christmas $100 (or less) show, NorthART gallery, Auckland
- 2010 - Gifthorse, Firehorse film studios, Auckland
- 2008 - I like sex and I’m a girl, DAF106, Wellington
- 2007 - Exposure, Massey University, Wellington
- 2012 - Dawn, lace jewellery
Ravon about art "Flight | Rumours", July 2016
Tracey (Gadget Girl) "Flight...", July 2016
Felt Blog "Art in fibre", April 2016
Ravon about art "Made of Snow", Jan 2016
Muir, Matthew: “Black and other colours”, the gulf, Sep 2011, pg 36-37
Crane, Douglas (http://salient.org.nz/arts/visual-arts/visual-arts-2), 2008
Kenealy, Robyn E.: The Secret Life of Cream: Test pot, 2007 (http://artbash.co.nz/forums/reviews/the-secret-life-of-cream-testpot-new-paintings-by-ngaio-simpson-and-ri)
Bayfield high school yearbook, Cover, 2002
Curated rework – an art discussion group